The Cancéropôle Grand-Est is one of the 7 Cancéropôles created by the first national cancer action in 2003. Renewed within the frame of the 2nd and 3rd “Plan Cancer” (2014-2019), the Cancéropôle Grand-East overlooks a large geographical area covering 5 territories: Alsace, Bourgogne, Champagne-Ardenne, Franche-Comté and Lorraine.
Over 400 teams are mobilized towards one goal: to develop innovative and competitive research against cancer. A total of 1400 scientists and clinicians joined efforts to bring the latest innovations, in term of prevention, screening, diagnostic, and therapeutic options to the 8,4 million inhabitants of the Cancéropôle’s territory.
Major Goals of the Cancéropôle:
- Structure cancer research at the local level : contribute to develop, share and strengthen human and technological resources. Emphasize innovation and training. Encourage public/private partnerships to increase the Grand-East attractivity
- Facilitate the development of innovative, collaborative and competitive research: identify and promote the management of interdisciplinary research project.
- Manage and facilitate oncological network: stimulate exchanges and mobilized teams in different geographical and scientific expertise to reinforce the continuum from bench to bed.
Organise, coordinate, and strengthen research against cancer in partnership with academic and clinical institutions by associating researchers (epidemiologists, biologists, physicists, computer scientists, mathematicians, robotic engineering…), healthcare professionals, industrials and patients is a priority for the Cancéropôle.
The Cancéropôle Grand-Est includes:
- Local authorities : Region Grand Est / Alsace Champagne-Ardenne Lorraine and Region Bourgogne Franche-Comté
- 5 Universities (Université de Strasbourg, Université de Bourgogne, Université de Reims Champagne-Ardenne, Université de Franche-Comté et Université de Lorraine)
- 5 Universities Hospitals (Strasbourg, Dijon, Reims, Besançon et Nancy) et 1 Local hospital (Metz-Thionville)
- 4 Cancer centres (Centre Paul Strauss in Strasbourg, Centre Georges-François Leclerc in Dijon, Institut Jean Godinot in Reims and Institut de Cancérologie de Lorraine in Nancy)
- French Research agencies (Inserm, CNRS)
- Charities and Patients organisations (Ligue contre le Cancer, Fondation ARC)
Mme Marie-Guite Dufay, President of the Bourgogne Franche-Comté region, was elected president of the Cancéropôle Grand East in September 2016. She succeed President François Patriat (2009-2015) and President Adrien Zeller (1st president of the Cancéropôle).
The board is composed of the President or his/her representative, the scientific, medical and administrative directors, the 5 territories advisers and the head of the clinician committee. They follow the scientific and communication actions carried out by the Canceropôle. They are also involved in the identification of new emerging project and advise their protagonists.
The Clinician committee
Started in 2006 by Pr Pierre Fumoleau and now headed by Pr Elisabeth Quoix, the committee of clinicians aims to structure the clinical research in the Cancéropôle. The main objective is to develop translational research projects and technological platforms to facilitate the transfer of fundamental research to the clinic. For example, by integrating the most recent molecular data, supporting samples collection and allowing access to clinical and biological data.
The clinician committee is composed of clinicians, the territories advisors and the heads of the Cancéropôle’s research priority axes.
They act as an important interface between the Canceropôle and the local actors. Their location in the different local capitals gives them a great knowledge of the local expertise and needs. This bottom up approach keep the Cancéropôle informed of local initiatives. They are the spokespersons for the representative of the local governments and advise the Canceropôle on its strategic decisions and orientation.
The territories advisors are:
Pr Yacine MERROUCHE Centre Paul Strauss, Strasbourg
Pr Jean FAIVRE Inserm U866 et CHU, Dijon
Pr Pierre FUMOLEAU Centre Georges-François Leclerc, Dijon
Pr Philippe BIREMBAUT Inserm UMRS-903 et CHU, Reims
Pr Yacine MERROUCHE Institut Jean Godinot, Reims
Pr Xavier PIVOT CHU Besançon
Pr Christophe BORG CHU Besançon / Inserm U645 / EFS Bourgogne Franche-Comté
Pr Thierry CONROY Institut de Cancérologie de Lorraine, Nancy
Pr Ahmet AYAV CHU Nancy
The Cancéropôle’s coordination team is available to answer your questions, as well as to discuss and evaluate beneficial opportunities for your projects.
Where to find us:
We are located at the University Hospital in Strasbourg Hautepierre, Avenue Molière, 67200 Strasbourg
Thanks to the common interest between the Caisses d’Epargne (Alsace and Lorraine/Champagne-Ardenne) and the Cancéropôle, a partnership was established in 2006. This partnership aims to inform researchers, healthcare professionals, industrials, charities, patients, and general public about the “Plan Cancer”; and improve the social relationships linked to the disease. This partnership was renewed with a 3-year 2015-2017 convention between Fondation Solidarité Rhénane and the Cancéropôle.